8.26.2012

Due to people making comments about doors... My diatribe.


Hello!

As most are well aware - I love mesh.  I love almost everything about mesh except for one or two things.  Due to various questions that I have been asked about the doors - I am writing this to make your life easier - and save my own sanity - once again.

First, I don't link doors to the builds.  Why?  Well, cause I love details.  My doors all have knobs or hinges and sometimes both.  Like sculpt, most of the handles/knobs or hinges are not built into the mesh.  For this reason, like with sculpt,  if I linked the door to the build - you would have the joy of floating hinges/knobs.  Personally, I think that would be awful and well stupid looking.  Yep, I said it.  It would look really stupid.  If you want to go and link the doors to your build -- well, you will see what I am talking about.   So, I don't link the doors to my builds.

Second, pocket doors.  I have a weird love of pocket doors.  However, mine open one at a time when they are double.  There is a very good reason for this.  First reason, see above statement.  Second reason, in real life when you walk into an old house, when have you seen both pocket doors opening at the exact same time.  This is not a space ship.  This is a house.  Doors don't magically open at the exact same time.  You need to push one then the other.  If you want both doors to open at one time - go live in a supermarket.  Seriously.  I strive for as much realism as I can achieve in here.  To me, opening one door at a time doesn't take that much time out of your existence.  If you don't like this feature, you can always change the script in the door yourself.  But note, if you link the doors to the build you will have floating knobs and stuff and that is like ai said above - stupid looking.

These issues aren't just mesh issues before you start saying that mesh is of the devil.  It happens with sculpt as well.  That is why a lot of builders don't use knobs on their builds and it is also why so many people use rez faux systems.  It isn't cause we are lazy.  It is cause you link the doors = bad stuff happens.   We know this better than anyone cause we build the buildings.  Honestly we enjoy our sanity and getting a bunch of crazy notes about -- my handles are floating or my door is speaking in tongues - is not something we want to deal with.

Now, I am not saying if something else happens that I am not willing to deal with it.  If your door decides to start spinning uncontrollably and spitting pea soup - I will probably tell you to contact a priest or start praying to a higher power.  But in most circumstances - this doesn't occur.  If the door isn't on the axis right - it is easy to fix too.  Just seriously, use some common sense.  I am really tired of people logging into Second Life and their brains just departing.  It isn't my sole job to give you sense.  Nor am I going to stand around holding your hand.  If I was - well I would probably not ever come into SL again.  My personal pet peeve is blatant stupidity.  So just use your heads and think slightly logically.

If this sounds harsh, well to bad.  This is how my mind works and how I speak.  I am not Suzy Sunshine and I don't blow smoke up your bum or tell you that your poo smells of rainbows.  I say it how it really is.

Ok, rant is done.

- Scout

0 comments:

Post a Comment